Year 12 Common Time - A new opportunity in 2018!
In 2018, Year 12 students who are not completing an External VET, are timetabled in the class “Common Time”.
Common Time occurs on Day 3, Day 6 and Day 8 for a total of 5 lessons and may be used for:
- Year level assemblies
- House assemblies
- Whole year level student assessment tasks e.g. English
- Supervised SAC Catch Up
- Career/ Post school study information sessions.
- Supervised private study
It is anticipated that Common Time will promote collaboration, communication and social connection for our Year 12 students: allowing them to focus on their study, without interruption to class time.
At Notre Dame College, school-based assessments are:
- Outcome Assessment Tasks (OATs) - VCE Units 1 & 2 and VET Year 1 (Year 11)
- School Assessed Coursework (SACs) - VCE Units 3 & 4 and VET Year 2 (Year 12)
Dates for semester one OATs and SACs can be downloaded below from early in Term 1.
Where a student will be absent for an OAT or SAC, they are required to apply to reschedule it. The following procedure must be completed by the student prior to the original date or within three school days following their return to school:
- The student must complete the relevant Application to Reschedule an OAT / SAC form and attach supporting documentation**. (Forms can be downloaded by clicking the following link Forms or obtained from Student Reception)
- The student takes the form to their class teacher to arrange an alternate date for the task to be completed under supervision.
- The student submits the completed form, with suitable documentation attached, to the Learning and Teaching Leader (VCE) for review.
- The student, Head of House, PGL and class teacher will receive an email to notify them of the decision – Approved or NOT Approved.
- The student is not permitted to undertake the task at the proposed new time unless the application is approved and the student has received the Approved email.
- Where a student fails to attend the rescheduled session a class absence will be recorded and an email sent to the student, PGL, Head of House and class teacher. The student would be expected to attend OAT/SAC Catch up on the following Thursday unless the class teacher makes arrangements for the student to complete the task sooner.
** The following supporting documentation is required if the student is unwell at the time of an assessment:
- An original medical certificate or Doctor’s report or Statutory Declaration.
- A medical certificate or Doctor’s report or signed note from a Parent/Guardian pertaining to the absence
- Official documentation or Statutory Declaration or a signed letter from Head of House explaining the absence.
* IMPORTANT NOTE: Where a student fails to follow this procedure, the student will receive an N - Not Satisfactory for the unit.. The student then needs to Appeal via contact with the Learning and Teaching Leader within 7 days.
VCE, VET and VCAL Student Handbook
The VCE, VET and VCAL Student Handbook is an important document to be read by all students in years 11 and 12 at the College. Download the handbook below.