The Coronavirus situation in Australia is evolving rapidly, we would like to reassure you that:
- All decisions we make will have the safety of our community members as central.
- College Leadership Team and I are monitoring the situation daily and, at times hourly.
- I am in regular contact with Education and Health Departments for updates and advice.
- Our staff are regularly briefed on the situation.
- SEQTA Engage remains the key point of communication for families.
- If any member of our community is diagnosed with Coronavirus the College is ready to respond rapidly and parents will be informed.
Last night the attached message was sent to all students by John. It highlights a couple of recent measures put in place as a result of coronavirus, including:
- Tonight’s Parent Teacher Interviews have been cancelled.
- Overseas Study Tours and Immersions are being monitored.
- Students should follow DHHS guidelines to reduce the risk of Coronavirus infection.
- Students have been asked to take laptops and books home each night in preparation for a possible school closure in the coming weeks.
After this message was sent by John, we received further information from the Department of Education advising:
- All Inter-School Sport, Camps and Excursions are to be cancelled effective immediately until further notice with the exception of students attending Aquamoves. Further updates specific to Daborra will be sent to Year 9 parents.
- We need to review any organised gatherings. As a result, we have decided to cancel assemblies, attendance at morning mass, Presentation on Raising Children in a Hyper-Sexualised World and Year 7 Bill Jennings evenings. There may be further cancellations in coming weeks.
Reminder that tomorrow is a Student Free day as all staff will be attending Professional Development.
As per normal, if your child is unwell please keep them home.
In our relatively comfortable environment it may seem that our lives are being greatly impacted upon. However, let us keep in our prayers and thoughts all those who have been so deeply affected by Coronavirus. We pray for families who have lost loved ones and for those suffering illness at this time. May we find strength as a community to support our neighbours and continue to find examples of hope and optimism.
Email Sent to Students
I hope you all had a wonderful weekend.
You will all be aware that as a College Community, we have commenced taking measures to protect your health, the health of our staff and all of your/our families.
For example, we have had to cancel Parent Teacher Interviews this evening and we are closely monitoring whether our overseas tours will be able to proceed this year.
Our Leadership Team are currently putting plans in place to ensure that we can minimise disruptions to your learning in the coming months.
Our increased efforts over the past few days do not reflect an elevation in the risk level but rather, have been taken in a bid to contribute to broader efforts across our community and our country to slow the spread of the virus.
Please ensure that you are following the DHHS guidelines for reducing your risk of coronavirus infection:
- Wash hands often with soap and running water, for at least 20 seconds. Dry with paper towel or hand dryer.
- Try not to touch your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. If you don’t have a tissue cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve or elbow.
- Stay at home if you feel sick. If you take medication make sure you have enough.
- Phone your doctor or the hotline – 1800 675 398 – if you need medical attention. They will tell you what to do.
- Continue healthy habits: exercise, drink water, get plenty of sleep.
- Wearing a face mask is not necessary if you are well.
- Buy an alcohol-based hand sanitiser with over 60 per cent alcohol.
Also, as you may have heard in the news broadcasts and seen in newspapers, the Government may make a decision at very short notice to close all schools and universities. If this happens we need to ensure that all students have their laptops and books at home, in order to continue with your studies. Further information will be provided by your teachers. So, please ensure you are taking equipment home each afternoon.